WIA brings AIA Dallas women together for friendship, networking, and collaboration while empowering members to impact their practice, profession, and community.
Women In Architecture
What do we want to accomplish?
- Provide choices to motivate women to stick to the profession
- Identify priorities and career goals to choose a career path
- Female Architect role models are essential to help define these choices - what are the impacts and/or implications of different choices?
- Navigating through life events while developing/chasing a professional career
- Once you are an architect, what's next? - what are the essential tools of the trade for women in architecture?
- Growing within the profession and attaining the desired goals - experience, success, leadership
- Women inspiring and mentoring women as a framework for professional succes
Local Efforts - Build your Horizons Activity
The AIA Dallas Women in Architecture Committee (WIA) hosts the annual Build your Horizons Activity at the Yale Club's STEM Conference on March 11th from 9am–5pm at Townview Magnet School in Dallas, TX. This opportunity is for women architects, designers and industry professionals in Texas to encourage creative thinking through art and design skills to young girls. The conference is focused around Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math and organized by the Yale Club of Dallas. Email WIA at email@example.com to confirm your volunteering spot for 2-3 hours. We look forward to your involvement helping to shape young minds!
The AIA Dallas Women in Architecture Committee (WIA) will host a Mentorship Mixer on June 28, 2017. This mixer will connect two female segments of AIA Dallas’ membership base: experienced architects (mentors) with less experienced designers (protégées). The intent is to provide up and coming Professionals and/or Associate Members with greater support and guidance from the professionally licensed community of female Architects. Beverages and snacks will be served and rounds of structured conversation and networking topics will be initiated. Mentors or protégées will meet in small groups to discuss topics such as career advice, work strategies, or site exposure through mentor’s projects. Questions can be asked in a comfortable environment. Protégées through registration can request to be in a specific mentor’s small group. All requests will be granted in the order they are received.
The AIA Dallas Women in Architecture Committee (WIA) will host Women Leading Women Seminar on September 27, 2017. This is WIA’s first seminar focusing on women who lead the design field, and best practices to expand equity and diversity in architecture. Proven practices for achieving success will be shared, and Partners and Principals who have reinvented protocols within their own offices to support the professional development of women will present new conventions for success. This half day seminar will feature inspirational and energetic presentations.