Talk About It
- ADA Pyramid Game
- Communities by Design Meeting
- SFRT North: Protecting the 1st Side of the Building
- Community Honors Committee Meeting
- Coffee & Conversation: Kalita Humphreys Theater Master Plan
- 2023 AIA Dallas Tour of Homes - Call for Entries
- Pride X Design: Conversations with AIA LGBTQIA+ Alliances
- The Emotional Impact of Safety: Balancing Technology and Psychology in Design Innovation
- The New Age of Security: Technology in a Post-Pandemic World
AIA Dallas Unbuilt, Student Design Award, and KRob Winners Announced
These competitions and awards recognize new visions for the built environment and innovative uses of technology materials, methods, and design. In elevating these ideas, AIA Dallas provokes dialogue around the direction of the architecture profession and future of design.
On Thursday, June 9th, the Dallas Chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA Dallas) announced the winners of the Ken Roberts Memorial Delineation Competition, the AIA Dallas Unbuilt Awards, and the Student Design Awards at the Architecture and Design Exchange located in downtown Dallas.
The 48th Annual Ken Roberts Memorial Delineation Competition
With 197 entries from 13 countries in 2022, the Ken Roberts Memorial Delineation Competition (KRob) is the longest running architectural drawing competition in the world. Established in 1974, the competition awards prizes to original works that best represent the artistic qualities of architecturally inspired drawings.
The jury was comprised of Jennifer Bonner, Director at MALL and Associate Professor at Harvard GSD; Carrie Norman, AIA, Partner at Norman Kelley LLC and Assistant Professor at Tulane University; and Melissa Shin, AIA, Principal and Co-Founder at Shin Shin.
The winning entries, by category are:
- Award for Excellence in Digital/Hybrid Media, Professional: Texas A&M University AIAS - Outpost Office Workshop
- Award for Excellence in Digital/Hybrid Media, Student: Eugene Tan
- HKS Award for Excellence in Hand Delineation, Professional: Patrick Baucum
- HKS Award for Excellence in Hand Delineation, Student: Austin Bower
- Richard B. Ferrier Award for Best Physical Delineation: Dustin Wheat, AIA
- Kevin Sloan Award for Best Travel Sketch: Hy Nguyen
- Award for Excellence in Animation: Gideon Schwartzman
- Juror Citations: Clement Laurencio, RIBA; Jerome Xin Hao Ng; and Zachary Tate Porter
Said KRob juror, Melissa Shin, AIA, “On behalf of the [KRob] jury I was amazed by the high level of technique, craft, and creativity in all of the entries, and really appreciated the compelling stories layered within each submission.”
AIA Dallas Design Awards
The Unbuilt Design Awards and the Student Design Awards are organized by the AIA Dallas Design Awards Committee, whose purpose is to recognize outstanding work by local architects and honor the collaborative efforts of architects, clients, and consultants who achieve design excellence.
“The Unbuilt Design Awards represent a fantastic opportunity to recognize architectural work that doesn’t yet or may never exist; so much of our work as architects goes unbuilt and unseen by a larger audience. It has been a pleasure to get a snapshot of what architects in Dallas are working on, and to see it through different lenses of scale, typology, and context,” said Unbuilt Award juror Natalya Egon, AIA, NOMA.
The Unbuilt Design Awards showcases progressive ideas and dynamic design solutions by Dallas architects. The jury included Isaac Michan Daniel, Principal at Michan Architecture; Natalya Egon, AIA, Associate at Snow Kreilich Architects; and Elle Gerdeman, AIA, Design Critic in Architecture at Harvard GSD and Principal at CO—G Architecture.
The winning Unbuilt entries, by category are:
- Winner, Unbuilt Design Award: Art Museum in Vilnius, FTA Design Studio, Inc.
- Winner, Unbuilt Design Award: Deep-Rooted Ellum, Corgan
- Winner, Unbuilt Design Award: Fair Park Parking Garage, Gensler
- Winner, Unbuilt Design Award: Granger Annex Adaptive Reuse, OFFICIAL, LLC
Unbuilt Award juror Elle Gerdeman, AIA siad, "What we saw in the four winning entries was an imaginative use of context and site histories in order to rethink typology norms - ranging from subtle adjustments to complete hybrids each entry speculates on ways to smuggle in more social agency."
Established in 2018, the AIA Dallas Student Design Awards recognizes the innovative and thoughtful work of students in collegiate architecture programs across Texas. These awards are juried by the 2021 AIA Dallas Design Award recipients.
The 2022 jury included Bang Dang, Founding Partner of Far + Dang; Brian Kuper, AIA, Design Principal at GFF; Samuel Mortimer, AIA, Managing Partner at The Planning Agency; Ricardo Munoz, AIA, Associate Principal at Page; Yen Ong, AIA, Partner and Co-Founder of 5G Studio Collaborative; and Ron Stelmarski, FAIA, Principal and Design Director at Perkins&Will.
The winning student entries are:
- Winner, Student Design Award: Courtyard Hospital by Danking Bhujel (Texas A&M University)
- Winner, Student Design Award: Joppy Momma’s Farm by Gerardo Alvarez, Melisa Ayala, Elizabeth Butler, Nathalie Cardenas, Avery Grandmaison, Jonathan Guzman, DJ Jang, Hortence Keita, Luis Leija, Hannah Milner, Keely Morgan, Alfredo Pacheco, Walter Perez, and Dal Thibian; Instructor: Julia Lindgren (University of Texas at Arlington)
- Winner, Student Design Award: Bi-National Connection by Karla Padilla (Texas A&M University)
- Winner, Student Design Award: Embassy in D.C. by Eric Pham (University of Texas at Arlington)
vision / imagination
Finalists of the Ken Roberts Memorial Delineation Competition and all entries into the AIA Dallas Unbuilt and Student Design Awards are currently on display together in a joint exhibition titled “vision / imagination” at the Architecture and Design Exchange, located at 325 N. St. Paul Street, Suite 150, Dallas, TX 75201. The works will be on display through August 5.
The AD EX is open to the public Tuesday through Saturday. More information for visiting the AD EX is available at DallasADEX.org. Finalists and winning entries can also be viewed online at krobarch.com and aiadallasdesignawards.com.