Where Fashion and Interiors Intersect for Good
Every year, the IIDA (International Interior Design Association) Dallas Forth Worth City Center hosts a signature fundraising event that directly benefits our community. This year, for the fifth IIDA CRE8 Design Challenge and Fashion show, the City Center selected The Gatehouse as the beneficiary. The mission of The Gatehouse, located in Grapevine, TX, is to provide safe refuge for women and children in our community in crisis, to assist their walk on the path toward permanent change.
The challenge of Cre8 is to apply the design process to create a garment in just eight days that celebrates the connection between interior design and fashion. Teams are provided a theme and two sponsors of design materials, and must conceptualize, plan, and construct the garment. They must then strut their stuff on the runway before a panel of judges and the design community.
This year’s theme was “Circus.” Each “Circus character” had to have a unique talent that set it apart from the rest. The winners were:
- Best Hair and Make-Up – “Clown” (e4H Architects, Koroseal, and Studio TK)
- Best Construction – “Bearded Lady” (Harwood, J+J Flooring Group, Clarus Glassboards)
- Best Performance – “Marionette” (PRDG, Pallas Textiles, BPI)
- Crowd Favorite – “Trapeze Artist” (Corgan Aviation, Anzea/KSM Design Source, Gunlocke)
- Best of Show – “Fire Breather” (Stantec, Carnegie, and Group 4 / Fulbright & Co)
The International Interior Design Association (IIDA) is a professional networking and educational association committed to elevating the profession of interior design. IIDA provides a forum to demonstrate design professionals' impact on the health, safety, well-being, and virtual soul of the public.
Credit: Rondo Estrello (Instagram @RondoStar)
The event chairs were Patricia Tram with 5G Interiors and Courtney Engberg-Hulse with Feizy Rugs. They worked with a team of committee members and volunteers.
The event was presented by the IIDA Dallas Fort Worth City Center on behalf of the IIDA Texas Oklahoma chapter.
All photos: Rondo Estrello (Instagram @RondoStar)
Talk About It
- 2019 AIA Dallas Unbuilt Design Awards Welcomes James Leng of OFFICE JAMES LENG
- 2019 AIA Dallas Unbuilt Design Awards Welcomes Zeina Koreitem of MILLIØNS Architects
- Take Shelter! How We Design Storm Shelters Saves Lives
- The Question of Morality in Development: Bringing Columns to Life
- Support the AIA Dallas Tour of Homes, Build Your Business